He is my favorite current player in the big leagues. Behind Pudge, he is my second favorite Texas Ranger of all time. My loyalty resides with the Rangers as a franchise so ultimately I want want is best for the team. However, it pains me to read the things Mike and the team has had to say to the media in the last 24 hours. The Rangers will not be a better team if they trade Michael Young before the season starts. Any leverage that the team had with dealing with other teams is gone.
I'm sorry Mike, but you will be paid $100,000 per game in the 2011 season. If the team wants you to DH, then you DH. The team got better by adding Adrian Beltre, the best defensive 3rd baseman in the game. The team got deeper by adding Mike Napoli. Not too long ago you said that you wanted to be a Texas Ranger and wanted to be part of a winning team here. I feel that because you have been here the longest, you have become the leader by default. You are not the best player on this team and have not been the best player on this team in a number of years. You are a superb baseball player, but your game has diminished. You were statistically one of the worst defensive 3rd baseman in the major leagues the last two seasons. I think it is an awfully selfish act to demand a trade from the team that has helped you get to this point in your career, just because they have brought in players to make the team better. This is the team that brought you to the majors and signed you to a contract that has set you and your family up for life. You are no longer worth what you are being paid, yet this team has been creative to make the team better around you and keep you around to be a part of what could be a special final chapter to your career. You still have a key role here.
We are a better team across the board going into this season compared to last year's AL Championship team. Now you want out?
I thought you were better than all of this. I thought you were the guy to tell my players about when talking about players who did whatever it took to be a part of a winning team. I don't think I can tell that story anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment